The Australian Government's Youth Steering Committee works with the Office for Youth on engaging young people. The Youth Steering Committee has 15 young people aged 13–24. They represent the diversity of young Australians.
Members come from every state and territory. The steering committee is working with the Minister for Youth, the Hon Dr Anne Aly MP to:
- co-design the new Youth Engagement Model
- run national consultations with young people.
The steering committee also provides advice on government policies and programs that impact young people.
Applications for membership opened on 12 September and closed on 5 October 2022. The Minister for Youth welcomed members in November 2022.
The Youth Steering Committee consists of 15 young people aged 13–24. Members come from every state and territory. They will support the establishment of the new Youth Engagement Model under the direction of Minister for Youth, the Hon Dr Anne Aly MP.
- Youth Steering Committee meets for the first time in Canberra with Youth Minister the Hon Dr Anne Aly MP.
- Youth Steering Committee meets with the Office for Women on the development of the National Strategy to Achieve Gender Equality.
- Youth Steering Committee held a virtual meeting to discuss its work in 2023.
- Youth Steering Committee held a virtual meeting to prepare for its in-person meeting in March.
- Ministerial media release: Call for young Australians to join new Youth Advisory Groups and have a say on issues important to them.
- QLD based committee members attend the Brisbane Youth Legacy Forum to inform the Brisbane 2032 Legacy Plan.
- SA based committee members attend the opening of SA Youth Week.
- Committee meets in Canberra alongside Youth Advisory Groups. Co-chairs run meeting with Minister Aly seeking advice for establishing the youth strategy.
- Joint Ministerial media release: Albanese Government empowering young Australians
- Members meet in Canberra for the Wiyi Yani U Thangani National Summit for First Nations women.
- Perth-based members attended the launch of the Youth Engagement Strategy paper and national consultations.
- Members participated in a virtual focus group on vaping and smoking with the Minister for Health.
- Ministerial media release: A fresh approach to engaging young people
- Canberra-based members participated in a Youth Consultation with Minister Aly and ACT Minister for Education and Youth Affairs Yvette Berry MLA.