Minister for Youth the Hon Dr Anne Aly MP met with young people yesterday in Perth in the first of a series of youth consultations.
Dr Aly launched the nationwide consultations at event at Perth Town Hall, co-hosted by the Office for Youth and the Youth Steering Committee, and facilitated by the Australian Youth Affairs Coalition.
There, Dr Aly met with over 100 young people from around Perth and youth sector representatives.
Check out our Instagram highlight to see how the evening went!
The consultations are a way for young people aged 12–25 to provide input on government policies.
Through the Office for Youth, the Australian Government is running a series of national consultations with young people. Consultations aim to:
- Empower young people to have a say on the topics that matter to them.
- Make sure young people are listened to in the development of the new youth engagement strategy.
- Deliver a new way for young people to input into Australian Government policies designed for them.
There may be up to 100 consultations in 2023. Consultations will be held in every state and territory and in metro, regional, rural, and remote parts of the country.
At a consultation, local young people can talk directly with:
- government officials
- members of the Office for Youth
- members of the Youth Steering Committee
- youth organisations.
At a consultation, young people can raise matters that are important to them. Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- cost of living
- mental health
- climate change
- child and youth safety
- youth unemployment and underemployment
- housing affordability and access
- education, skills and training.
Consultations will occur in-person in town hall, focus group and workshop style events, as well as informal conversations and survey responses at locations where young people are. These locations may include youth festivals and events, shopping centres, youth groups, sporting clubs or university events.
Follow our social media channels to receive updates and alerts – look for @youthgovau on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.